Friday, October 11, 2013

Extravagant Simplicity

Perhaps it is just me who complicates everything my eyes see; but I have a feeling it is related to the pre-programed human condition. When I hear about a problem, or watch somebody do a task, an idea comes to mind on how to improve the situation logically; so every action is therefore backed by thought-out support and theoretical reason. Needless to say, I have the bad habit of trying to think through ife instead of seeking out what God is doing. [Although, when I do hear from Him, I know what to expect, and don't question further.] But the rest of time, I try my best to "fix" the world or figure it out, all by myself.
The last month has brought a multitude of change for our team here in Oradea. God pulled us away from the ministry we were doing in Sabolciu and placed us into a period of waiting. Being the problem solver I am, of corse I tried to figure out the reasons why and what I could be doing in the meantime [because I can't just be still]. The Thursday morning God told us to step away, I'll never forget. I remember sitting on an old, half-wooden couch, placed on the west side of the room. I had a comfy peach sweater on and a blue pen in my hand. Next thing I knew, I was crying and rapidly writing down all my emotions and thoughts towards one girl in the village. Quietly praying Larisa could understand my first letter written in Romanian, God brought to mind a flash flood of memories. Just brief glimpses, all just a few people, sitting close, talking, sharing life, and loving God. I realized that those pictures, those times, those moments were everything that matters in ministry. God doesn't stop moving in people's lives because certain programs aren't present. Or even certain people. God moves, and He does so in very intimate and personal ways. So what if I don't have an easy answer to what I do as a missionary here; over the past month, I have begun to witness the deepening of relationship all around. As I make drinks in the coffee shop, God is present and answers prayer. The other day, I was walking out the door to visit the bank across the street, and ended up in a friend's car and spending the day together. Never before have we spent so much time with the people at our church. People have been inviting us over for dinner and fellowship and we have the time to say yes. To say that we aren't too busy for them. And little by little, as we share in life and encourage each other, God knits our souls together and draws everyone closer and closer to Him. Too often my mind is occupied with everything I want to do or plans I have for serving, yet even in that, God distracts me away from how big and complicated I desire everything to be and brings me back to relationship. If we begin to realize how important relationship is to Him, life becomes simple. We begin to see His work naturally appear around us. I know I can safely surround myself in His extravagant simplicity because of how well He guides.

No comments:

Post a Comment