Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Naturally Replinished


 
Have you not known? 
Have you not heard? 
The everlasting God, the Lord, 
The Creator of the ends of the earth,
Neither faints nor grows weary. 
His understanding is unsearchable. 
He gives power to the weak, 
And to those who have no might He increases strength. 
-Isaiah 40:28&9-


Just as snow melts to increase the strength of the rivers that provide life to the trees, the Lord increases the strength of His followers when the weary world around them needs watering. I recently found myself in a rut as the new year has started. The young girls I have been meeting with in the village stopped wanting to get together. So I used that time to deepen relationships with other families in Săbolciu that I hadn't gotten to know as well. But as time continued without them meeting, my mind kept brainstorming on why this was happening and my heart seemed to grow in compassion and desire to draw them once again together and to God. Since coming here last June, I haven't played my banjo nearly as much as I should have. A few weeks ago I was taking a walk to pay the team bills. On my way into town, it came to me that perhaps I could bring something to act as a healthy incentive. As a team, our heart has been to bring the gospel without giving away unnecessary and non-lasting items [i.e. food packages, or clothes, basically anything they have become accustomed to getting from past missionaries]. I agree that the idea of "bribing" people to Christ is not the path that the Holy Spirit uses in hearts. So I was praying, asking God what exactly could be an incentive for them to begin coming again. Then I got the answer that I didn't want to hear, banjo. I had toted this instrument all the way across the globe just to hang it up on my wall; the most useful it had been was while traveling; I stuffed the case full of books I couldn't part with. Even though it had been months since I practiced, that Tuesday I strapped it on my back in faith that God was doing something. Yes, of course I was afraid, a little about the kids being crazy and some more about playing in front of any type of audience.
This is Emma, Janina, and Larisa together today
Once at the village, the few kids outside came running up to me, showing off their best air guitar skills. After I tried to inform them that the instrument what not in fact a chitară, but a banjo they looked at me strange and for the most part walked away disinterested. Not a problem, I came here for an older audience. So I went into Larisa's house and sat down to talk with her and her family for a bout 45 minutes. Then her dad [or maybe uncle, older brother, you never know?] asked about my chitară. Next thing I know, the banjo is sitting on my lap and I manage to pick out How Great Thou Art and half sing/ half forget the Romanian words. They were silent. My heart was immediately on it's knees praying that I hadn't offended anyone and end up kicked out of the village for blaspheme or something. Then they each smiled. Crazy to me, Romanians don't seem to smile about much, let alone gypsies. They liked it. Not long after, I went to another house and all together we sat singing to God and praying. Since then I have taken the banjo almost weekly. This last time, seven adults and four kids crammed on the two sofa/beds and everybody got their chance to lead a song [basically hold the banjo while they sing]. In this circumstance, gypsies seem to not have a fear of looking silly or not being perfect; everyone sings very loud, no matter the pitch or if the melody is correct. But it doesn't matter. God loves it still. He takes joy in every little bit that we hand over to Him. Every part of our lives is vastly important to Him and precious. Granted, not everything is perfect every time I go to worship, in fact, it never is. Just when I was feeling overwhelmed with all the kids grabbing at me, or my banjo, or its case, I looked up to see tears in the eyes of my friend Simona. Even in all the chaos, God still worked, He spoke directly to her heart, exactly what she needed to hear. The courage and gumption of the girls in Săbolciu to sing with all their might, or play an instrument they have never heard of before has taught me to not care as well. Playing the banjo brings me joy, and it definitely needs improvement, but I am going to have fun. Knowing that all joy flows directly from God, I can honestly say that He is glorified when my heart exceeds with gladness. As a result of learning this, I also played alongside Amy one night for worship, and have been playing at every opportunity since then. Praise to Him for renewing me with His strength every time I ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment