Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Lofty Ambition

There is a loftier ambition than merely to stand high in the world. It is to stoop down and lift mankind a little higher. –Henry Van Dyke-

In mark 12, a teacher of the Torah asks Jesus what the greatest commandment is. Within Jesus’ response lies a statement and ideology, famously quoted in and outside of church circles. “Love your neighbor as yourself.” The thought in itself is appealing, to the very heart of humanity. The hippies during Vietnam, the “green” movement against global warming, the classic beauty pageant response of “world peace” shows us in general, the world desires to better. The remaining action after these thoughts can be halting.

All too often, we get caught up in daily life, myself being guilty. In order to combat falling down the gully of self-preservation, I say yes. Yes to others, and no to my selfishness, yes to favors, yes to people, yes to time invested. Here in Romania, my days are filled. Over the past, almost three years daily life and activity has changed more often than I could have kept track. Currently it’s developed into a balancing act. I serve my local church most evidently by volunteering as a barista at Bookafe for upwards of 30 hours per week. In the past half year, my time has expanded toward the fight against human trafficking. I serve as a photographer and journalist when Abolishion has local events. Outside of that, my time is with people, serving and creating together connections and community to see God’s grace in real and personal modes. Whether that time is spent praising, painting, or photo taking depends on when and where the needs are. Although I usually arrive at my apartment late and exhausted, I love it. God has grown my heart beyond what I thought was capable, and my love for people is expanding everyday. Helping in the smallest ways, my pointed “yes”es help to raise others a little higher. As others see and experience the love and tenderness of grace, the world gets better. And I get to enjoy with others, the newfound level in the greatest good.





No comments:

Post a Comment